October 26, 2006

Myriad Art Gallery

I'm an art lover. If that sounds pompous, let me explain. I look for and appreciate Art in nature (sunlight streaming through the branches of a tree), art in people's behaviours (what makes a person a joy to look at, even if not good loooking), and art in mundane things like a room arrangement. I believe in fact, that art is all around us— beauty really does lie in the eyes of the beholder.
But probably the most difficult of all art is the art captured on canvas (aka painting!) or through a lens eye (you guessed it: photography!) That's because what the artist tries to do is reproduce a scene for someone who hasn't witnessed it. This 'scene' may be real or imaginery, anything the artist feels like sharing that he thinks will evoke an emotion in the beholder.
My most treasured 'scene' is a black and white framed photograph of a window of an old Goan home taken from the inside, which hangs on my bedroom wall. This scene was captured by photographer Jude D'silva from Goa. I find it difficult to explain why exactly I love this picture, but the moment I saw it, I knew I had to have it.
Jude is the owner of Myriad Art Gallery in Panjim, a beacon of hope (yeah, I know that sounds cliched, but what would you say, huh? Huh?) for undiscovered talent. Jude describes the gallery as a "place to bring artists and Art lovers together on one platform". He says, "We don't want to be a contemporary, cliché gallery. We will be hosting art workshops, seminars, exhibitions, artist showings, Art appreciation courses, even if art groups would like to meet at the premises something can be arranged. We also plan to host special events for fresh new artists and open events for art critics." For Jude, the gallery and all it represents is a dream that has become reality.
Situated on the first floor just opposite Vinite restaurant in Fountainhas, the gallery has an old world charm which makes it a very comfortable atmosphere for musing. You can walk in without any pretence, stand and stare at the paintings and photographs displayed on its wooden walls and wait for a scene to speak to you. Just, listen.

1 Comments:

At 1:40 pm, Blogger glenn said...

I've seen a couple of his pictures. Interesting you have such a flair for art and photography.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home